Sunday, December 4, 2011

How to Take Care of a Sick Person - The Right Way

If you've ever wondered what's the best way to take care of a sick person and simultaneously permanently solidify said sick person's respect for you, you could create a check list based on what my friend did for me the other morning. Read. Learn. Imitate.

I can't imagine a person doing this more correctly.

CARE IMPROVEMENT

The other day I injured my knee and needed to go to the emergency room in the morning. I was embarrassed to call anyone. After all, it was dirt early in the morning. Everybody I know is just as busy as I am, and just as desperate for every minute of sleep. You could count on less than one hand the amount of people I even felt slightly comfortable calling.

So I called a friend.

If he was upset you would never know it. There was zero hesitation or irritation in his voice. He told me he'd be right over, almost as if he was waiting for such a phone call.

In essence, truly good people are always ready and waiting for such a call.

He took me to the hospital, after helping me to his car, and kept me in good cheer along the way.

He said he would make sure I was all set up before he had to take off. This, honestly, was more than enough. I knew his schedule. If he had just dropped me in front of the hospital it would have been enough to make me forever grateful. But no. He wanted to make sure I was all set.

But then he changed his mind and decided he would stay with me for a little longer, stretch out his schedule to the last possible minute. In the end, not only did he end up staying with me from start to finish of my appointment, but he took me home, helped me safely into my house, and perhaps most importantly, kept cracking jokes and kept me smiling for the entire duration of my stay in the emergency room.

Yes I was in pain, but at the same time I felt like a million dollars.

So, if you wish to take care of a sick person the right way, if you wish to make them feel fantastic despite their illness and love and respect you forever, follow this progressive check list:

1. Come to their aid with absolutely no hesitation. They must feel no reluctance in your voice or actions.

2. Before leaving them, make sure they're fully set wherever you've brought them.

3. Better yet, stay with them. No one likes to be alone when they're suffering.

4. And while you're with them, keep them happy. Don't stare at the clock on the wall. Tell them jokes and keep them smiling the whole time. Maybe they'll even forget where they are.

5. See them through until the very end.

Is this easy? By no means. Effective? Like nothing you could ever imagine.

How to Take Care of a Sick Person - The Right Way

CARE IMPROVEMENT

0 comments:

Post a Comment