Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Improvement of British Dental Hygiene

Teeth care is something that British people aren't exactly known for but in recent times it has begun to improve. Taking the lead from the Americans we have begun to adopt some of their dental hygiene techniques like teeth whitening as well as implementing practise branded dental plans.

The teeth of the British people have never really been that bad, we have just always been more interested in the health of our teeth rather than the cosmetic look of them. That said a lot of my friends have fillings and for those of the older generation this seems to be more so. Some when during the 70's or maybe as late as the 80's attitudes to teeth changed as more and more children who had gaps in their teeth or large overbites were fitted with braces.

CARE IMPROVEMENT

Having had a slight overbite when I was younger I was taken to the orthodontist and measured up for some fitted braces or 'train tracks' as they were known in the playground. The process wasn't that traumatic, I had to have a mould of my teeth made up and then had the brace fitted which took a while as I was having the different parts cemented onto my teeth. Then after this the wires were fitted and tightened. This was probably the worst part of the process as I was left with a constant pulling feeling on my teeth, which left a dull ache for the first couple of days. This initial pain calmed down after a day or so and then I just had to learn to cope with my braces with regards to eating and drinking.

My teeth are now fine and I'm glad I had braces for that year or so as I can imagine they could have caused a few problems throughout my later life. Now a days the British people have developed their dental hygiene. Teeth whitening has become the latest craze with everything from whitening strips to laser whitening being used at the dentist and at home. Another development is the use of dental plans by dentist practises. These allow practises to have their own branded dental plans that allow private dentists to offer their services to what would traditionally be NHS patients at an affordable rate.

The Improvement of British Dental Hygiene

CARE IMPROVEMENT

0 comments:

Post a Comment